Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I process sugar

I had my gestational diabetes test today. First, you drink a bottle of fake orange soda. Its fake because it doesn't taste as good as orange soda and has about 100 times as much sugar as soda. After chugging the fake soda, you sit, for an hour, and read a book, or stare at the fish in the aquarium.

About 15 minutes into the sitting exercise, Peanut goes crazy because it now has a sugar high. 5 minutes later, I realize, I have a sugar high. After an hour, the lab lady draws blood and lets me know that my glucose is 107 and my hemoglobin is 12.2. I pass! I'm grateful not to be diabetic, but really happy I don't have to come back for the 3 hour version of the same test.

I also got to hear the Peanut's heartbeat, which is always nice. I'm measuring at 28 weeks, which is just right. All my vitals are good. The doctor told me to enjoy the next month or so, because after that, she promises I'll be uncomfortable and want the baby out.

Peanut and I have an agreement that it won't show up before June 7th - at 36 weeks.

The doctor's appointments go to every 2 weeks now. And more importantly, we're in the 3rd trimester - 2/3 done.

No comments: