We are proud to announce the arrival of our second son
Declan Kevin Foy
Sunday March 22, 2009
3:09 am
8lbs 8oz
20.5 inches
He came early much to my surprise! I didn't even have a hospital bag packed I was so sure he'd come after 40 weeks.
Pat and I were giving Paddy his bath at 7:30 and I got up to go to the bathroom. Sadly, I didn't make it and was annoyed at myself. While changing clothes, I again found myself wet (yuck) which is when it occured to me something wasn't right. I joined Pat and Paddy in the little man's room for story time and told Pat I thought my water broke.
We called the doctor and then our official Paddy watcher. I took a shower, packed a few things, and Pat and I headed out to the hospital. We made a quick stop at McDonald's for Pat since last time was such an ordeal, and he hadn't yet had dinner.
We made it to the hospital around 9pm and got all checked in. We found out the doctor on call on Sunday was my least favorite in the group - bummer. The Saturday night Dr, who I really like, stopped by a little before 10 to see how I was doing - 2cm with light contractions. She gave me the option of laboring on my own or starting Pitocin. Normally I would have turned down the drugs - but I REALLY didn't like the option of the Sunday doctor.
We got all my IVs started around 10:30 including Saline so I could get an epidural. The anethestiologist (or however you spell it) came by a bit after 11:30 and I was all done and sleeping by midnight. Pat was not so lucky, he stayed awake. Fold out chairs are not comfy.
I woke up at 2am, and told Pat either the epidural stopped working or something changed. We chatted for a half hour before I had him get the nurse. She came in, turned up the epidural and checked my progress. I was 5-6 cm. She said the epidural should feel better in 15 minutes, but she'd call the anethestiologist and have him come up to give me a bolus. 15 minutes later, she decided she should check me again as the contractions were coming pretty quickly.
Declan decided, he wasn't waiting anymore, and at 2:45am, we got the show on the road. He made a fast entrance into the world with the dr and the nicu dr running into the room as he came out at 3:09am. Much faster experience than last time's marathon. Pat got to announce to the room that it was a boy (we hadn't found out).
Declan got checked out by the nicu dr (there had been meconium present when my water broke). Everything was perfect and I got to hold the little man about a half hour after he was born.
We are all home and doing well. Paddy has been a great big brother. He loves to hold Declan, and tries to give him his pacifier when he cries.
Thank you, thank you, thank you to Melissa and Anderson for coming to our house to watch Paddy. We feel very lucky to have such good friends.
3 comments:
aaawwwwww. love the last photo!
YAY, I'll say it again, CONGRATS GUYS! They are both so cute.
YAY!!!! I need to come to visit. I really like Pat's Delivery Day Jaunty Cap, btw.
Post a Comment