I've heard all the stories about how I'll eventually go into nesting mode. What I'd like to know is if Grandma's have a nesting mode as well - because I'm pretty sure my Mom was in nesting mode this weekend. It was awesome!
She arrived on Friday evening and we immediately began going through the loot room (where all the baby loot was stored). We got all the clothes out of packages, sorted, and to the basement to begin washing. Once the first load was in, we started cleaning the basement. I realize that probably sounds like a strange room to clean, especially since its unfinished. However, the basement could have been referred to as the junk room. By actions that are entirely my fault, everything ended up in the basement. Empty boxes, things I didn't know what to do with, things we were going to give away, everything. My Mom began cutting up the empty boxes into pieces with an enormous knife (scary). I started going through piles of "junk". By the end of the night, way past my bedtime, we had sorted everything into cut up boxes, give away, find a permanent home for, and boxes still to be cut up. I think about 4 loads of laundry were done as well. I'm pregnant, so I had to go to bed. My Mom said she was going to bed, but I'm pretty sure I heard her rumbling around in the basement after I went to sleep.
I woke up Saturday morning at 6:30 to find her already downstairs, and doing more laundry (okay, we had a lot of laundry, I admit it). I’m pregnant, I had to eat, she was still cleaning the basement. We finished in the basement, and moved to the junk closet on the 1st floor. Again, my fault, it became a home for wayward objects I didn’t feel like bringing all the way down the stairs. After the junk closet was cleaned out, right on to the front hall shoes, coats, hats, mittens, didn’t make it to the junk closet closet. With that adventure done, we figured out how many storage boxes we needed to put things in, and hit the showers. Pat appeared after a long night on call, unfazed by the chaos we had created in order to clean up. Mom and I headed out to run errands so Pat could get some sleep.
We took a break, and visited the Pottery Store and Bibelot before heading to Target. So you all know, Target in St. Paul apparently has things Target in Chicago does not. We picked up the things we needed/wanted (clear plastic storage bins, plastic hangers, some random things) and headed home. We spent the rest of the late afternoon putting things in their homes and getting the clothes put away in the Nursery (loot room). Pat woke up at 6:30 to a clean basement with only a couple loads of laundry left to be done. All the things put into storage boxes (and only things that we needed, no junk), and the nursery starting to look like a room and not a storage closet.
We went to dinner and back to Target (we needed more stuff) and finally home to bed. My Mom was up doing something, but I was too tired to figure out what.
Sunday we woke up, had breakfast, and went back to work. Pat went golfing (he shot an 81) and my Mom and I took all the give away stuff, loaded it in the car, and headed to Goodwill. We got rid of the donate pile from the basement!! We then went to Babies R Us and purchased a mattress for the crib. I thought it might be hard for Peanut to sleep without a mattress. We hit Target a third time for more storage containers, more hangers, and some shelf liner for the dresser. Back home to put away everything in the Nursery. All the clothes are hung up, all the things in the Nursery are put away, and the basement is nice and clean, all the laundry done. We went grocery shopping, made dinner and attempted to put the Crib together. We got half way before I couldn’t keep my eyes open and had to go to bed.
Our house is organized, things are put away, and we are almost done with the nursery. We have to finish putting the crib away and we have to hang some pictures (one very cute new one my Mom bought). I’m pretty sure my Mom slept for a grand total of 8 hours the entire time she was here, but she got sooo much done its incredible.
I’m still waiting for my nesting instinct to kick in….
Tuesday, May 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment